Sunday, May 25, 2014

Belated Birthday card for my sister

This blog has moved to a new & improved location!  Please visit this page at the new location by clicking here.










This card took two or three pages (I forget) of Close To My Heart Skylark paper.  It's not one of my favorites, but I had a few of them & since I thought my sister may like it, I didn't mind using the two (or three, I forget) sheets necessary to make this card.  I do think it turned out quite nice.

I also used two new tools for this card.  I've had both for a few months but had not taken the time to acquaint myself with them & use them.  They are Hot Off The Press "1000 Card Quotes" cd I got from Amazon as well as Serif CraftArtist 2 that I got from QVC.  I will review these items later.  But in a nutshell, I think the HOTP cd is ok but generally pretty lame.  Basically, it appears it's several PDFs that you print out & then cut the sentiments, verses & design elements & adhere them to your card.  OTOH, CraftArtist2 seems to be a "grown up" successor to the Hallmark and/or American Greetings CreateACard app that I've used for about 20 years to make my computer generated greeting cards.  But more on these later.


I cut one piece of Skylark paper to 8 1/2 x 11 inches & folded it over so the green/white side was out & left the chevron "selvage" & so that it was a horzontal/tent fold.  I layered a piece cut from another Skylark paper over that but with the chevron selvage showing (on the bottom layer/card base) as well as ~1/2 inch at the top of the green/white print.  This new layer had the bird side showing.  I stamped "Happy Birthday" with the CTMH Art Philosophy Celebration stamp set (D1497) & CTMH Lagoon ink.  Then I cut the partial tag out from a piece of Skylark paper, layered that on the front, stamped the "To:" (same CTMH stamp set & ink) & wrote "My Sister".  (Based upon my ikky handwriting, you can see why I prefer to use a computer or stamps rather than handwriting!).  I already had the birdcage that was cut from a Spring Fling paper pack from two years ago with Spellbinders Bird Sanctuary die.  Adhered it with pop dots & added a couple of CTMH gold, durable triangles, under the bird cage.

For the inside, since I like to trim the "liner" to be a bit shorter than the card base on all sides.  But since I used left the chevron selvage on the outside of the card, I cut the chevron selvage from another piece of Skylark paper & used it to cover the selvage on the inside of the card base.

For the liner, I used this digital paper, which exactly matched the blue in the Skylark paper:

I found this sentiment from HOTP CD & made it my own in CraftArtist2.  The fonts I used:

  • Salsa Mangos BTN Lt
  • Marlin Thin
  • Tw Cen MT Condensed
  • Tropicali Script BTN Bamboo

The top inside is an Anna Griffin die cut from the green/white side of a piece of Skylark paper.









No comments: