Monday, July 22, 2013

Mother's birthday luncheon 2013

This blog has moved to a new & improved location!  Please visit this page at the new location by clicking here.



Since my mother passed away in April 2012, I've decided to remember her birthday each year by having a girls luncheon.  It keeps me from being sad on that day & is always a lot of fun.  One of the things I most enjoy about my girls luncheon is I get to do it up all girly.  I use my wedding china, crystal & silver.  Sometimes I need extras so I use Bob's grandmother's china or his mother's silver.  We always have a toast to my mother & I always forget to take photos during the event.  But here's a glimpse of this year's event.

The table, partially set (I did add flatware!):




Flowers:




The menu was somewhat retro '80's.  Asparagus quiche, my "big salad" (I have this huge wooden salad bowl that I love & I toss in a lot of tasty things - it's never quite the same from one time to the next) with store bought cranberry salad dressing, risotto, champagne punch & Tazo Passion tea.  Funny because I wanted to serve the champagne punch my girlfriend served at my bridal shower.  I used the same recipe for our wedding.  She later used the same recipe for her wedding & for her first born's (our goddaughter) baptism.  But I couldn't find it.  I looked everywhere.  I still find it incredulous that I had that recipe for many years & yet cannot find it anywhere now.  So I've either lost it or, since that was well before I got into being an organizing freak, it's buried in the garage in some box labeled "dollhouse" or something.  

I'd also planned on having broccoli cheese soup each year, in honor of my mother.  That was one of the things she continued to love in her last few years.  I did serve it last year.  But this year, I didn't have the time/energy to do it. 

Dessert was Apricot Brandy Pound Cake cupcakes with Apricot Cream Cheese Frosting.  The cupcake recipe is one I've used for a few decades but never made as cupcakes before.  I found the frosting recipe on the 'net here. The decos are Wilton, purchased from Party City.


 I stole this photo from Mz. Linda Parker!  (shhh...)
 Photo: Always nice to gather with the neighborhood ladies. Good way to start the weekend.

The favors - purses made with my Cricut & Silhouette Cameo:


Each purse contained a Crazy Rumors lip balm, See's sucker, hand lotion & Teavana strawberry rose champagne tea:




More on the purses/handbags/favors & how to make them is here.







No comments: